An International Journal Clinical Rhinology

Register      Login

VOLUME 11 , ISSUE 2-3 ( May-December, 2018 ) > List of Articles

Original Article

A Study of Clinical Profile and Factors Associated with Cerebrospinal Fluid Rhinorrhea with Outcomes of Various Treatment Modalities at Tertiary Healthcare Center

Dhruvika M Rathva, Rahul R Gupta, Ranjan G Aiyer, Amey P Patankar

Keywords : Cerebrospinal fluid leak, Cerebrospinal fluid rhinorrhea, Endoscopic endonasal cerebrospinal fluid leak repair

Citation Information : Rathva DM, Gupta RR, Aiyer RG, Patankar AP. A Study of Clinical Profile and Factors Associated with Cerebrospinal Fluid Rhinorrhea with Outcomes of Various Treatment Modalities at Tertiary Healthcare Center. Clin Rhinol An Int J 2018; 11 (2-3):36-39.

DOI: 10.5005/jp-journals-10013-1342

License: CC BY-NC 4.0

Published Online: 24-09-2020

Copyright Statement:  Copyright © 2018; Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.


Abstract

Introduction: Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) rhinorrhea implies an abnormal communication between the subarachnoid space and the nasal cavity leading to drainage of CSF to the exterior. Aims and objectives: To study the clinical profile and factors associated with CSF rhinorrhea with outcomes of various treatment modalities at a tertiary healthcare center. Materials and methods: This study was conducted in the Department of ENT and Head-Neck Surgery, SSG Hospital and Government Medical College, Vadodara, Gujarat, from April 2014 to November 2016. Patients were selected from those attending the outpatient department (ENT/neurosurgery OPD), indoor patients (admitted at ENT ward 19/general surgery/neurosurgery wards), and emergency department of the hospital during the study period. Results: The age of patients ranged from 18 to 70 years with a mean age of 38.6 years; 12 (60%) were males and 8 (40%) were females. A total of 20 patients of CSF rhinorrhea were included in our study. Majority of rhinorrhea patients presented with watery nasal discharge as their primary complaint, which increased on straining or bending forward. The most common etiology was posttraumatic in 55% followed by iatrogenic in 25% and spontaneous in 20%. Treatment modalities used were: (A) conservative measures done in 50%, (B) endoscopic endonasal CSF leak repair in 35%; (C) repair by the craniotomy approach done in 15%. The CSF leak was successfully repaired by the endoscopic endonasal approach in six (86%) patients. About 71% of patients who were put on conservative measures responded favorably in the 1st week only and the rest 29% needed 2 weeks for stoppage of CSF rhinorrhea. Conclusion: Cerebrospinal fluid rhinorrhea has varied etiology. Mostly they are posttraumatic following road traffic accidents. Early identification of CSF rhinorrhea is important and can be safely managed conservatively in majority of cases.


PDF Share
PDF Share

© Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) LTD.